Friday, June 20, 2014

Uber Amazon!

It was February 14, 2025. My internet connected calendar woke me up early, reminding me that I had forgotten to order roses and diamond ring from the Tiffany and that I still have couple of hours if I made a decision now. I quickly get out of bed, brushed my teeth and reached for freshly brewed coffee (my internet connected toothbrush had informed my coffee machine that I was up!)

 As I was sipping coffee, my TV started presenting me with various options of Roses, (do I need to say it switched itself on because I picked-up the coffee mug ? :)) I selected one and asked to order. It went over to my second immediate to-do and asked me if I wanted to make an appointment with my personal adviser, Jennifer Lawrence, at the local Tiffany ? I said yes, and it continued to present what they have available in their inventory within my planned (internet connected) budget.

As I was finishing coffee, my TV (I have to figure out a cool name for this thing ...! :)) walking me through what was planned by my personal cloud based scheduler and that both of the items, Roses and the Ring, will be picked-up, gift-wrapped and delivered to my wife at her office at 10:00 AM.

It then informed me that I should write / sign a card, when I visit Tiffany,  Jenny will have my card ready, please hand it over to Jenny or if you want us to pick it up from your office, just let Jenny know to schedule a pick-up.

I said thank you, finished my coffee and went for my morning run.

As much as this sounds like a fiction, this is closer then 2025. Amazon has already succeeded in providing every consumer and (much of media) needs of a consumer at a flat fee for the service. Uber has the exact same ambition but with a bit different approach, methods and model. Combined these together with a rapidly growing product market of internet-of-things, it is just around the corner.

Two distinct approaches, two distinct era, two distinct models but a common goal of achieving monopoly over the access of the consumers. B2C is not an option anymore, it is a survival!

Reference:
Amazon same-day-shipping rates:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200105970

Amazon delivers on Sundays!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/11/11/amazon-sunday-delivery-usps/3479055/

Uber's ambitions:
http://allthingsd.com/20130627/ubers-travis-kalanick-on-numbers-competition-and-ambition-everything-but-funding/

Uber's aggression:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/29/lyft-be-more-than-a-number/

No comments:

Post a Comment