Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The other Indian

I had to replace the coolant reservoir tank for my car. Because the part (tank) was only available from a dealer, I went to my local dealer to prepay for the part. The gentlemen at the desk asked for my name. I handed over my credit car because I find it the easiest to convey the correct spellings of my name!

He pronounced my last name so perfectly, I exclaimed: how did you say it so well ? He pointed to his business card (visiting card in India) and said: can you say, my name ? His last name is: Yackytooahnipah (pronounced: Yaa Kee too naa pah) I attempted it fairly successfully.  (at least that is what Kelly said, not sure if he was being polite! ) He declared, "I am 100% Comanche".

I ordered the part, paid for it and said good bye, see you tomorrow and parted.

The next day, I went to pick up the part. Kelly was there, he quickly procured my part and handed me over. I paused and before I say good bye, I said, "Kelly: don't you find it funny that I am that Indian who he (Columbus) was searching for and you are the one who he found ?" .. he laughed out loud. We said good bye and parted.

I found this exchange quite enriching and humbling.

God is what happens when humanity is connected.





No comments:

Post a Comment